Long Island's premier
slate & tile supply house for 60+ years!
|Slate Roofing FAQ's||Slate Roofing History & Repair||Volko FAQ's||Slate Roofing Tools||Slate Roof Accessories||www.volko.com|
answers to some questions about us
1. Where are you guys located?
- We're at the corner of Herricks Rd and Jericho Turnpike in New Hyde Park. Same location for over 50 years
2. Does Volko install slate or tile roofs?
- No, we are a supply house, not a contractor. However we can recommend contractors capable of anything from replacing a few pieces of slate, reflashing a chimney, or installing and building a full roof system, from the slate and tile to standing seam metal. Call us, let us know where you are and what needs to be done, and we'll happily recommend customers we have worked with for years.
3. Do you buy used slate and tile?
- Yes, we do. If you are ripping a job, or are replacing your roof give us a phone call or bring in a few sample pieces. We can quote you prices based on whether you are bringing the material here, or if Volko is sending a truck to you to pick it up.
4. I'm a homeowner, not a contractor. Just how hard is it to work with slate?
- The answer depends on a few questions. Are you afraid of ladders? How high up are the slates that need repairing? How handy are you? We will happily explain to you how to do basic slate repairs, and even rent you some of the tools if you like. If it's not for you, we can recommend either a specialized handy man for repairs, or a full scale crew for large jobs.
5. Is there a lead time on slate?
- We stock thousands upon thousands of pieces of slate in all types of colors and sizes. If you are doing a repair or an extension, we would probably have it in stock. If you need to do a whole roof, give us a call. Vermont Slate we can have in stock and ready for you in two weeks or less depending on the color and the size. Pennsylvania slate may take a bit longer...three to four weeks.
6. What about the lead time on clay tile?
- We stock salvaged book tile, norman tile, mission tile, and french tile manufactured by Ludowici. We also have the gable rakes, ridge barrels, hips, etc, end closures, top closures, etc. If you are doing a repair or a small roof, we should have enough salvage or new in stock to get you through your job. If you are doing an entire roof, lead time may be 8 weeks as the tiles are manufactured for each job.
7. I know I have a slate roof, I know I need to replace some pieces, but I have no clue what size or type. Help!
- Again, bring a piece in. We'll be happy to point you in the right direction.